Monday, May 10, 2010

In search of crab recipes

I have been searching for recipes for crab 'with a different twist' and so far I came across two that I find very tempting. They both call for ... banana! Crab and banana? what a twist :-)

Seriously, the hip Schwa restaurant of Chicago had on its seasonal menu: "Chunks of sweet, delicious stone crab meat and tiny slivers of celery come alongside three banana preparations: A long, dehydrated banana chip, a sweet roasted banana and a cube of brioche filled with "liquid banana”—pop it in your mouth and squeeze." according to Metromix Chicago.

In any case, the first recipe I found involves crab cakes wrapped in plantain bananas and deep fried... yum ! I haven't tried it yet, but Recipegirl sure makes it tempting with beautiful step-by-step instructions and photos for her Plantain- Wrapped Crab Cakes with Avocado Aioli



The second recipe has banana mashed-and-mixed right into the crab mix! I'll probably try this one soon as it reminds me of 'chuoi chien' a favorite dessert of mine when I was little. I would climb on a stool and watch the banana fritters dance around in the wok until they have a perfect golden tan.You can peruse Nicole's Thai banana crab cake recipe here.





There you have it, a Cuban and a Thai inspired recipe involving crabs and bananas. Do you have others you would like to share?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

cheese (1) dessert (3) entree (1) icecream (2) ideas (1) salad (1) side dish (1) vegetable (1)
© 2009-2010 BesidesPho. All rights reserved.